Police Step Up Election Security After Armed Attack Disrupts PVC Distribution in Osun.

  • Video
  • July 27, 2026
  • 0 Comments

Security agencies in Osun State have intensified efforts to safeguard the electoral process following an armed attack on officials of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) during the distribution of Permanent Voter Cards (PVCs) in Odo-Otin Local Government Area. The incident, disclosed by the police on Sunday, comes less than two weeks before the August 15 governorship election.

According to the Osun State Police Command, about 10 suspected armed thugs invaded Oyinlola DC Primary School in Ward 2, where INEC officials were issuing PVCs to eligible voters. Police said the attackers fired gunshots into the air, forcing electoral officials to flee before escaping with three packs of PVCs.

The Commissioner of Police, Ibrahim Gotan, condemned the attack and directed a full scale investigation into the incident. Police spokesperson DSP Abiodun Ojelabi said tactical and intelligence teams had been deployed to identify those responsible, recover the stolen voter cards and ensure they are brought to justice.

Authorities said the swift response is aimed at protecting the integrity of the electoral process and reassuring residents ahead of the governorship poll. The police stressed that acts capable of disrupting voter registration, PVC collection or other election-related activities would be treated as serious criminal offences.

The command also appealed to members of the public to remain calm and cooperate with security agencies by providing credible information that could assist ongoing investigations. Residents and eyewitnesses with useful intelligence were urged to report to the nearest police station or use the command’s designated emergency channels.

Beyond the attack in Odo-Otin, the police disclosed that operatives restored normalcy in Ile-Ife after suspected thugs became unruly around the Mayfair Garage area, temporarily disrupting public order. Officials said security personnel acted promptly to contain the situation and prevent a further breakdown of law and order.

The police reaffirmed their commitment to securing lives, property and election related activities across Osun State as preparations for the August 15 governorship election continue. Authorities also warned that anyone attempting to incite violence or undermine public peace before, during or after the election would face prosecution in accordance with the law.

  • Related Posts

    Tinubu To Publish Details Of Fuel Subsidy Savings.

    President Bola Tinubu says the Federal Government will soon make public details of how funds saved from the removal of fuel subsidy have been deployed. He made the disclosure on…

    Oriire Abduction: Oyo Opens Inquiry To Security Questions.

    The Oyo State Government is seeking public submissions to help its Judicial Commission of Inquiry establish what happened before, during and after the abduction of 46 schoolchildren and teachers in…

    You Missed

    Adeleke gets 2nd term victory,wins Osun Guber poll with over 500,000 votes

    Naiyeju extols Olusegun Agagu for road expansion vision,congratulates Senator Faduyile

    Tinubu To Publish Details Of Fuel Subsidy Savings.

    Tinubu To Publish Details Of Fuel Subsidy Savings.

    Senator Faduyile’s move to get NEMA’S reliefs yields as NEMA mobilizes personnel to Ondo South

    Ondo Youths Must Lead With Skills, Integrity, Says Olabode

    Ondo Youths Must Lead With Skills, Integrity, Says Olabode

    Lagos-Calabar Coastal Road will unlock Ondo’s economic potential says Omoyele

    Lagos-Calabar Coastal Road will unlock Ondo’s economic potential says Omoyele