Adeleke Drops EFCC Suit After Tinubu Intervention
Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, says he has ordered the withdrawal of the legal action challenging the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission over the freezing of the state government’s bank account.
Adeleke made the disclosure during an interview on Channels Television’s Sunday Politics, shortly after he was declared winner of the August 15 governorship election. He said the decision followed a direct intervention by President Bola Tinubu, which he described as sufficient reason to move beyond the dispute.
The governor had earlier challenged the EFCC’s action, alleging that the restriction on the state’s account was politically motivated and capable of disrupting government operations. The account freeze had also become a major point of contention in the period leading to the governorship election.
According to Adeleke, he has now directed the state Attorney General to discontinue the case. He said President Tinubu’s intervention had changed the circumstances surrounding the dispute and that he saw no reason to prolong the matter.
The President had directed the EFCC to lift the restrictions on the state government’s account and discontinue related legal proceedings, following concerns over the timing of the action ahead of the election.
Adeleke also addressed reports that some members of his administration and supporters had been invited for questioning by the anti-graft agency. He said his lawyers had been instructed to provide the necessary assistance to those affected, while the investigations continued.
The governor’s decision signals a move away from the legal confrontation with the EFCC as his administration begins another term in office. Adeleke said he was prepared to put the dispute behind him following the President’s intervention, while the details surrounding the EFCC inquiries remain with the relevant authorities.


